“Give thanks to The Lord, FOR he is good; FOR his steadfast love endures forever!”*
That little word, “for,” is the reason I can have a thankful heart. I can be sick, or out of work, or lost, or without love. I can be in debt or up to my eyeballs in trouble. But always, always, always there is a big-T Truth in the background that won’t go away. I can give thanks anytime, “for” (because) God is good and his love for me never ends.
Write it on a Post-It note and stick it where you can see it:
God is good. ALL THE TIME.
Here are just a few verses that untwist my heart when I’m down or angry or bitter or hurt, so I can give thanks. I memorized them so they’re handy when I need them:
- “Give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you” (1 Thessalonians 5:18).
- “In everything God works for good with those who love him, who are called according to his purpose” (Romans 8:28).
- “I know the plans I have for you, says the LORD, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope” (Jeremiah 29:11).
- “Though the fig tree do not blossom, nor [not being a farmer, I insert something applicable to me in this spot], … yet I will rejoice in the LORD, I will joy in the God of my salvation. GOD, the Lord, is my strength” (Habakkuk 3:17-19).
- “He who brings thanksgiving as his sacrifice honors me” (Psalms 50:23).
What verse or truth helps you give thanks? I’d love to know. Write it down and stick it on your bathroom mirror. Then every day this week, when you get up, read it and make a point of giving thanks to God. Before you know it, you’ll find your heart is filled with gratitude.
You May Also Like …